Sunday, November 25, 2007

YouTube..a way to share your videos!

Well, it is not the first time I heard about YouTube, but I must confess that I never visited this website until last Wednesday! So before exploring the YouTube dimension I went searching for information just for curiosity’s sake and I found out that you tube provides 100 million videos per day..could you ever have imagined that?

Once I entered YouTube, I was simply struck by the number of videos and things I came across in this HUGE website!!! I spent hours visiting it because I couldn’t resist the temptation to click on the links that I found here and there on the webpage and watch the videos that caught my attention! ;-)

What I liked the most of this website is that it is organized by categories according to the topic (for example cars, animals, films) where you can find any video which can be of interest to you; however, that’s not all! YouTube is also a way to filter videos, making it possible for you to know which are the most recent, the most discussed, the most responded, and even which videos can be uploaded on your mobile phone..isn’t it fantastic!?

Moreover, I consider this new digital tool to be far better than television: YouTube enhances us to make our own contribution to develop it by creating videos, sharing them with people from all over the world and have our own say, instead of just sitting in front of the screen passively as it happens with television. In addition, the fact that it’s users and not show producers who make and broadcast their own videos makes anything more real and personal and it enables you to know more about people of our age (since most of the videos are broadcast by young people), their lifestyle, how they cope with everyday problems and what they think about certain issues such as politics, health care and so on.

Obviously, we have to pay attention to use this tool, as when surfing the Web, because in YouTube you can find a lot of videos and comments which are not filtered by moderators so they might contain vulgar and rude images or expressions. In fact, another thing that I appreciated of YouTube is the chance of creating a group in which it’s only the people subscribed to it who can post videos and comments..good way of filtering, isn’t it?

Moreover, YouTube is a useful way to improve our English language learning: by watching the videos and reading people’s comments you can learn a lot of colloquial expressions! Some curious words I found were: convo which stands for conversation; luv for love; huppy for happy; cuz for because; vid for video.
Since I’ve recently become really curious about what concerns technology and new digital tools in general (also thanks to this course!), I searched in TeacherTube and I came across this video, which immediately caught my attention: it explains in a very clear and plain English how to use wiki, a new tool which enables groups of users to create collaborative websites..enjoy! ;-)
If you can't watch the video, please click on this link:
and it should appear.
Let me know what you think of it!
Bye!

6 comments:

Letizia said...

Hi Silvia!
I completely agree with you. YouTube is a fantastic way to share thoughts, videos, impressions, reflections with other people! You can interact with people of your age and see if they agree or not about a certain issue!
It is important that only the people subscribed to it can post comments and videos: this is a good way of filtering!
YouTube is a useful way to improve our english, listening to conversations and discussions of english native speaker!
See you soon!
Bye bye!
Letizia

Letizia said...

Hi Silvia!
I completely agree with you. YouTube is a fantastic way to share thoughts, videos, impressions, reflections with other people! You can interact with people of your age and see if they agree or not about a certain issue!
It is important that only the people subscribed to it can post comments and videos: this is a good way of filtering!
YouTube is a useful way to improve our english, listening to conversations and discussions of english native speakers!
See you soon!
Bye bye!
Letizia

Letizia said...

I'm sorry Silvia, I posted two similar comments, because I left out the s of "speaker".

Giada said...

Hi Silvia!
I really appreciated your video and your post! I agree with you and with Letizia when you claim that YouTube gives the opportunity to share videos and leave comments and that this could be extremely useful.
I spent hours exploring the Website as well: the problem with YouTube is that it is really vast and the number of video is just endless, so there is a high probability that when you enter the Site you will spend the whole afternoon watching bizarre videos.
However I liked the fact that you pointed out how users are "active" in Youtube: the idea of ordinary people sharing ideas and providing entertainment just like our favourite celebrities is wonderful!
See you tomorrow!

Blogger said...

Hi Silvia!
Some days ago I was wondering about wiki. I found something while surfing the net but I didn't have time to explore in-depth the question. And know you come out with this!
Thank you very much!!!
Bye bye,
Zara

Elena B said...

Hi Sivia!
I agree with you and the other girls about the endless potentialities of You Tube. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to visit it in depth yet, but I think that once starting it, it is very difficult to give up. I had problems while watching your video: it was interrupted a lot of time so I wasn't able to watch it until the end. It doesn't matter...
Bye!
Elena