Sunday, November 18, 2007

Exploring the world of podcasts...


PODCASTS...somewhere I’ve already heard of them, but this is certainly the first time I get in touch with this new tool Sarah suggested to us! Well, I have to say that searching for some interesting podcasts at first took me a lot of time because I couldn't easily find, open and download the podcasts I wanted to listen to, maybe because of my old computer... but finally, guys, I got it! :-D
Exploring the search engines Google, Odeo and del.icio.us, I was really struck by the number of podcasts I found and I must confess that it was very hard for me to choose only three of them…anyway, I hope you find them interesting and useful for your English learning! ;-)

The first website I chose to visit is betteratenglish because it’s very well-organized and clear: podcasts are divided into sections according to categories, topics and levels, so even an inexpert learner can easily find what he/she is searching for! Besides, the latest podcasts are separated from the less recent ones, which you can find under the section archives..so if you miss an episode of a podcast you were particularly interested in, you can immediately find it by simply clicking on the link!
I chose to click on Real English conversations and I listened to an informal discussion about television between a British and an American English Native speaker, in particular dealing with tv commercials: I found it very useful because through a simple dialogue I've learnt important differences between British ad American English (such as talking about advertising, Americans say commercials while British people say adverts) as well as phrasal verbs I didn’t know (i.e. to go about, put up with, see through it) and idioms, like don’t get me started, which means that if you start talking about a certain topic, nobody will be able to stop you!

Moreover, besides podcasts concerning everyday situations, you can also find those dealing with business English: I listened to some of them (try this just for curiosity’s sake!) and I must say that despite what I thought, they can be understood without any difficulty and very useful to enlarge our business vocabulary as well! ;-)

To listen to more informal podcasts, from this website I went to www.china232.com, which was created by two American guys: even though it’s not as complete and well-organized as the first one, I really liked it because there are a lot of interesting and funny podcasts: each of them include the transcript of the podcasts added with explanations of complicated words and expressions as well as further discussions about the topic! This way, they perfectly combine fun with learning! For example, I listened to a conversation about vacation plans, which tells the problem of a guy who wants to postpone his trip to Hawaii but the travel agent refused permission, saying that the trip was non-refundable and non-transferable. I think this podcast is very useful because there are very clear explanations of the words and idioms with plenty of examples taken from everyday language (for example to explain the meaning of the expression to bend the rules and something came up). Moreover, for each podcast a further discussion about the topic is provided, so that you can get a deeper understanding of the situation and know a little bit more about American culture. What else could you want??! ;-)

Finally, the third website I visited was eslpod.com: it offers a wide variety of interesting and informal podcasts dealing with common situations which can be easily understood by any kind of learners. Among them I chose to listen to this, in which husband and wife have a discussion about the character of their neighbor: by simply listening to this brief conversation I’ve learnt a lot of new sayings and words, such as to shoot the breeze (i.e. to have a conversation in an informal way), busybody (i.e. a person who is too interested in what other people are doing) and to be entitled to something (i.e. to have the right to do something).
Besides, the fact that they speak very slow helped me a lot to have a more complete understanding!

Let me know what you think about the three podcasts I chose,
See you soon!
bye




4 comments:

Giada said...

Hi Silvia!
I really appreciated your post! First of all you chose very interesting Websites and then you gave a lot of details about the audio files you listed to. This is something I avoided to do in my post because I didn't have enough time to listen carefully to the files and to take notes (as you already know LAIF laboratories close at 5:00 pm!!).
I visited all the three Websites you suggested but I think that BetteratEnglish.com is the best: it is well organized and simple to use, in other words I loved it!Anyway China232.com and ESLPod.com are interesting and useful as well: I simply don't like the layout.
See you next week!
Giada

Elena B said...

Hi Silvia,
I agree with Giada... you did a really thorough work in the analysis of all the podcasts you listened to. And thank you for sharing with us the meaning of the new expressions you found out. Reading my post on podcasts, you'll realize that we chose more or less the same websites: Betteratenglish, China232... I think the reason is that they are very interesting for our aim and quite handy in the use.
See you on Wednesday!
Elena

Blogger said...

Hi Silvia!
Your post is very complete since it shows a quite deep analyses of the task we were asked to do.
Just a few tips:
- suggested us (without to);
- Put more periods;
- Remember tha 'anyway' has a negative connotation;
- less recent ones = olders;
- each of them includeS(?)
- ..which can be easily understood by any kind of learner.

However I liked the podcasts you told us, especially china232. It's funnier in its contents and have audiofiles concerning everyday situations not usually dealt with in traditional ESL lessons (e.g. a dare between friends, a misunderstanding between friends, talking about a computer problem,...)
So thank you for this podcast directory!
Bye,
Zara

Letizia said...

Hi Silvia,
I agree with all the girls in our group!!! You did a very well job!
Betteratenglish is very well organiszed: you can find podcats about whatever topic you want.
It is so important and useful that you put also the meaning of some expressions you found!!!
See you soon!
Letizia